Sunday, April 30, 2006

Whether or not I've gained a reputation for being a cynic, never let it be said that I'm oblivious to God speaking to me. If you haven't read The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, you really should. People seem to think that the idea that God loves us is cheesy - almost a truism. We just don't get it. What the book brings across is just how deeply, irrationally and unconditionally God loves us. I'm not even going to attempt to explain it. Just read the book!

Anyway, I was reading The Ragamuffin Gospel over Easter. It was certainly thought-provoking, but I s'pose it didn't really sink in. But on Easter Sunday, some rather strange things happened to me. I was at Spring Harvest, and, in the same evening, the following three events befell me:
1. A guy who I didn't recognise, having already spent the whole day being inexplicably nice to me, insisted on buying me a coffee. It was only when he physically handed the coffee over that I recognised him from my small group in the 11-14s venue at Spring Harvest 4 years ago.
2. A group of girls who I'd spoken to once (maybe twice?) before, gave me a chocolate bar for no accountable reason.
3. A friend of mine came and found me, and gave me a tube of Jaffa Cakes. (Truly the food of the righteous. If there are no Jaffa Cakes in heaven, I'm not going.)

Certainly an unusual chain of events. It was only when I got to bed that night that I realised that through each of these people, God had been clearly illustrating the lessons He'd been teaching me through the book. He just loves me. He wants to bless me and give me great stuff. I've done nothing to deserve that, but He wants to do it anyway. In practical, down-to-earth ways, He'd shown me that. It might sound stupid, but I'm taking great comfort in the knowledge that God knows that I like coffee and Jaffa Cakes.

No comments: