Friday, September 23, 2005

Life Principle #1

Leave memorials from things God has done.

Mark Wilson from City Gates Church came to speak at FHCC on Sunday. He said so much noteworthy stuff, that it wouldn't do it justice to record it all here, but I'll pull out one or two thought-provoking points. Firstly, he gave me a message from God, likening me to Tim Henman, which really would confuse you if you weren't there at the time. Suffice to say, I'm feeling encouraged that God DOES have plans for me, he IS pleased with what I've managed to do for him up until this point, and he ISN'T just a git who enjoys making me suffer.

Secondly, (and here's where Life Principle #1 comes in,) Mark reminded me of the importance of memorials. If God does something good (and if you really think about it, you'll find he does something good very often indeed,) you should make some kind of record of it; write about it, take a photo, come over all Israelite and build an altar - anything which will remind you of God's goodness, and which, when asked about it, will enable you to tell other people about God's goodness. It builds your faith, and it helps you tell people about Jesus. Cunning, eh? And if we set up memorials for what God has done, it'll give our kids a headstart in getting to know God themselves. Mark even says he wants his kids to start from where he left off. Why expect the next generation to start from scratch and fight to get as far as we have? Why not give them the chance to do things for God we've only dreamed of? I'm with Mark on this. Let's give our kids our ceiling as their floor.

No comments: